Content

Friday 21 February 2014

The Top 5 Lessons Blogging Taught Me!

I never ever dreamed that I would become a blogger, I am after all almost 40yrs and well we had those really old typewriters in my day ...You know, the ones where you has to slam your fingers down and risk personal injury , yep those ones. The electric typewriter only arrived on the scene as I was about to hit Grade 10 (Standard 8 in my day,) and well computers only made an entrance in my last year of schooling.

I studied to be a Beauty Therapist which required no computer skills whatsoever and so my learning curve with technology only really started in about 1996.

I have since then mastered many a program by forcing myself to work through it , when I get stuck I 'Google' it. I have refused to stay in the archaic and outdated times that many use as an excuse. How? Well by stretching my boundaries and forcing myself to learn and grow.

Here are the 5 most important lessons blogging has taught me...

#1 CREATING A BLOG
You need to plan and have purpose when doing this, but firstly you need to choose a platform from which to work. The two most common FREE options are WordPress and Blogger.
- Research and check out blogs on these platforms
- Most blogs can be deleted so I would even say venture as far as trying them out and see which of the platforms you prefer to work with
- Remember as you grow you will change and so will your blog.

#2 PLANNING
You need to plan the following...
- What is my genre ie. Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle and/or food. You can have more than one focus.
- Who is my audience?
- What am I going to blog about? How personal am I going to get?
- How often am I going to blog?

Here are some free planning calendar templates

#3 IMAGES
Some of my first images on my blog make me cringe , but we all have to start somewhere right? WRONG! If you do one thing for yourself checkout PicMonkey.

It is an image editing App that allows you to do limited corrections and enhancements. You can add labels and fun fonts too.
GREAT IMAGES ARE IMPORTANT.
http://www.picmonkey.com/
#4 TWITTER
Open a Twitter account and build a network , find people, brands that share your passion and build a presence out of relationship. Tweet your latest posts and don't forget to comment back. I personally have found Twitter to be invaluable tool in building friendships , in sharing and just to sometimes plain 'putting it out there'.

#5 BRAND YOUR BLOG
If you don't have the resources to have a Blog developed for you it is not the end of the world. Do try and use the same pictures/images across all your Social Media and on your Blog. This helps people to identify you and know that they are following the right person.
- Always add a picture(image) and/or logo to your blog and Social Media.
Here are some helpful guidelines on sizes
- Always add a means of contact , such as email.
- Link all your Social Media, this enables you to do automatic updates (it makes life a lot easier).

There is actually so much to share, I could go on for days.... however the above are the most important initial steps. Majority of the above was found by floundering in an arena where I had no one to bounce ideas off and/or even share my frustrations.

I do hope these proved to be helpful and would love to hear your comments.

x x x H
Femme Lifestyle

3 comments:

Unknown says:
at: 21 February 2014 at 01:20 said...

This is sooooo awesome!

Unknown says:
at: 21 February 2014 at 04:01 said...

Love this and ADORE picmonkey :)

CharlieW says:
at: 30 April 2014 at 00:11 said...

Great post Heather!

Post a Comment

We value your input and any queries you may have and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you.
x Heather

Blog Archive

All items on this site remain the property of the Authors - #BWB. Powered by Blogger.